George Washington Council
Sanhican Lodge 2
(The following are some excerpts from the bulletin published for the occasion of the 50th Anniversary of the Sanhican Lodge No. 2. The celebration was held at the Cedar Gardens in Mercerville, NJ, 1969. The history was written by Hugh Callahan Jr., Historian)
The Trenton Lodge of the Order of the Arrow was first formalized in February 1919. William Durling, with Harry Biles, Edwin Fisher, Frank Groom and J. Oliver Smith went to Philadelphia Council's Scout Reservation, Treasurer Island, in the Delaware River near Frenchtown, New Jersey for induction into the Order of the Arrow by Unami Lodge No. 1. These five men and a few members from Unami Lodge No. 1 assisted in inducting six more candidates into the Ordeal Honor, on August 6, 1920, on Park Island in the Delaware River, across from Sanhican Drive, Trenton, NJ.
In 1922 a constitution and by-laws were adopted and a totem was designed (Rattlesnake). The name of the Lodge was changed from Trenton Lodge to "Sanhican Lodge" (along the water). On October 16, 1922, William Durling was the lodge's first member elected to the Vigil Honor. By 1926 the total membership of Sanhican Lodge was 105.
In September, 1926, the lodge built a Lodge House on Rotary Island. About the same time the Lodge ceremonial grounds at the Council's new camp, Camp Pahaquarra, was named the "Durling Ceremonial Grounds," which name still is used today. The Lodge House on rotary Island was sold to a Boy's Club. Local outdoor work of the lodge was then conducted at Toad Hollow, Hamilton Square, NJ, where J. Oliver Smith lived as caretaker.
In 1954 the membership voted to build a permanent building at Pahaquarra Scout Reservation. It was decided by the membership to use this lodge home for O/A summer activities and for winter camping for Council Troops and Posts. After many months and hours of work clearing a site - where the old camp kitchen stood - our lodge house was finally built and dedicated, as the Pop Keller Cabin in 1960
Approved in 1966, by the lodge Executive Committee, for future Vigil Honor members, a triangle (approx. 4 inches), with appropriate arrows and Indian name to be painted on face. This is to be given to Vigil Candidates on the morning, following their last ceremony.
Fall of 1968 the Council's Executive Board approved a portion of the George Washington Scout Reservation to be used for ceremonial use of the lodge. This area was a site where stone had been quarried. Much of the stone used at the main entrance - Kerney Lodge wall, - and fire place - including the McIntosh building was obtained from this area.
Sanhican Lodge No. 2 has five chapters, set up by districtsof the Council. During the last 50 years, the lodge has had many fine scouts and scouters in its membership, who have given cheerful service for the lodge - council, the districts and the local units.
The Trenton Times published an almost identical article, obviously based upon the above source material. I have agonized about using it, but since it does include additonal information, it is probably worthwhile.... jos
return to Sanhican Lodge #2 History
September 2, 1999