As I Remember It, page 4
George Washington Council
by Hugh Callahan
There were, at that time, twelve troops and two hundred boys in the organization. The first council was organized in November 1916, with Samuel Haverstick, president; Dr. Wetzel, Jack Kerney, General Murray and Samuel Levy, vice presidents; Howard K. Hughes, secretary; William E. Green, treasurer; J. Connor French, S. E. Kaufman, M. G. Rockhill, D. W. Scammell and J. H. Sines, additional members; D. W. Scammell, commissioner; and William Burgess Jr., first executive. William D. Durling was elected second executive on December 28, 1917, and served until his resignation, January 1, 1921.
Scouting rose to a high state of efficiency under his leadership. In 1921, W. F. Abriel was elected executive and served until February 1923. In May 1923 E. R. Carrick was elected and is serving at the present.
The Council owns Camp Pahaquarra on the Delaware in New Jersey, about eight miles above the Delaware Water Gap. It was 1450 acres in area and was once an old copper mine operating since Colonial times, around 1645-1657.
Council purchased the property in 1925 for $19,900 and, at present, is equipped to care for one hundred twenty-five scouts per week. The troops are affiliated with the churches, lodges, the American Legion, the Knights of Columbus, the YMCA, the School for the Deaf, etc.
On January 1, 1928, there were nine hundred Scouts in Trenton and 1127 in the county, organized as 48 troops. Boys not old enough to be scouts may join the Wolf Cubs. In Indian sign language, the sign for "scout" and "wolf" is the same and therefore, Junior Scouts are "Wolf Cubs".
Going to Camp
Summer of 1930, we were signed up to spend one week at Camp Pahaquarra, near the Delaware Water Gap, about three miles north of Tocks Island on the Delaware River. Never having been to a summer camp, none of us really realized, at the time, what lay ahead of us. We soon found out that we really had the opportunity to advance in scouting, as well as have fun doing it. There was nature, hiking, swimming, good eats, sleeping under a tent, on a cot with straw ticking (mattress), archery, baseball with the staff against the campers. It was all there and we all enjoyed ourselves.
At the time, not very many families had cars. We assembled in front of Scout Headquarters, located in a small room in the basement of the old Bell Telephone Building on East State Street, near Montgomery Street.
We were loaded on a bus and transported to camp. On the way, we stopped at Clinton, NJ, where we spend 10 or 15 cents for a beef barbecue sandwich. They were the best we ever had. We also tried to save that amount from our spending money to have on the way back.
September 12, 1999