Camp Sakawawin Photos
From a Long, Long Time-Ago
The Middlesex Council of the Boy Scouts of America established Camp Sakawawin, the first permanent summer camp at Cedar Lake, in 1929. "Permanent" is a misnomer as the Scouts still tented at the west end of the Lake; only an administrative building and mess hall were substantial structures. Scouts were occasionally transported to camps in Sussex and Warren Counties by special trains operated by the New York, Susquehanna and Western Railroad. Click photo for full size image, in new window.
The mess hall at Sakawawin, lower-left photo, was a typical open-sided camp structure used to efficiently feed large numbers of Scouts simultaneously. As in the case of seasonal resorts, the quality of food was important in getting campers to return year after year. Camp Sakawawin closed about 1947 and Scouts were relocated to other facilities. Click photo for full size image, in new window.
Photos, text used with permission of the authors
Blairstown and Its Neighbors
Kenneth Bertholf, Jr., Don Dorflinger
Camp Sakawawin History