Camp Pahaquarra History
George Washington Council
Camp Pahaquarra, active from 1925 to 1971, was the first council-wide camp owned by the George Washington Council. Originally, the 1000 acre camp was the site of many commercial copper mines. Copper ore was mined in the area at least as early as 1659, but by 1917 the mines were no longer profitable and most of the mines were closed by 1924. You can read about Pahaquarra in Compressed Air Magazine, March 1951, "The Mystery of Pahaquarry Copper" (sic).
A narration based upon newspaper accounts and review of the National Park Service reports of the Pahaquarra Copper Mine property. Presented by David Patterson.
The Delaware Water Gap has a long history in both geological and cultural development. Located in northwestern New Jersey, (map1) on the southern shore of the Delaware River, just downstream from Poxono Island (map 2), the area is now part of the Delaware Water Gap National Recreation Area. We offer a historical perspective of four authors and some personal thoughts. Several of the sets of Pahaquarra pages were organized and edited by Larry Gering.
The Old Mine Road
The Dutch, the Indians, and the Quest for Copper
The Old Mine Holes and the Old Mine Road
Boy Scout camps along the Delaware River
The Mystery of Pahaquarry Copper
Camp Staff Photos
Camp Sundial Memorial
Going to Camp Pahaquarra
Photo Memories by Lee Donehower
Summer Camp Flyer
Camp Pahaquarra Songs
In Closing by Dr. Larry Gering
Camping in George Washington Council
Historical Site Home Page